One of the key goals for all athletes in my squad is to remain injury-free. The risk of injuries is avoidable if it is proactively managed. For example risk factors which contribute towards hamstring injuries include:
- Lack of race fitness
- Previous hamstring injury
- Poor flexibility of hamstrings or quadriceps
- Poor eccentric strength
- Weak at end-range (lack of strength when the muscle is in a lengthened position)
- Strength imbalance between left and right
- Dominance of quadriceps strength over hamstrings
- Subtle back injuries – such as slipped disc, weak core
A biomechanical checkup can be obtained from the Crystal Palace Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Centre.
The Crystal Palace Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Centre is an award winning multi-disciplinary practice, with over 20 years experience.
In one of the few purpose built facilities of its kind in the country, you will have access to:
- Sports Massage
Having recently used the Crystal Palace Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Centre, I am more than happy to recommend George Martin to athletes in the squad.
Ref: Dr Leon Cleaney, Athletics Weekly, July 27th 2011.